Our Sustainability Policy
The following are our main commitments::
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Education for sustainability
- Minimizing pollution / responsible waste management
- Responsible use of natural resources / water and energy saving
- Support to cultural activities at the Tortuguero community
- To promote local culture
- Support of local merchants and service providers through the purchase of products and services
- To ensure the quality of tourism products and services that we offer
- To ensure the safety of visitors and staff.
What do we do at Manatus Hotel?
- In 2015 we changed the 4 stoke outboard engines for two stoke outboard engines to minimize emissions.
The main reason for using four-stroke engines rather than two times is the high level of emissions from two-stroke engines. (http://www.unep.org/tnt-unep/toolkit_esp/fleet-example/motorcycle.html).
- We are using CFLs lights and changing to LED lights
The light-emitting diode (LED) is one of today's most energy-efficient and rapidly-developing lighting technologies. Quality LED light bulbs last longer, are more durable and emit less heat than incandescent bulbs and CFLs.
- We have a preventive maintenance plan to ensure efficient cooling in the hotel rooms and refrigeration equipment in the kitchen.
Cooling accounts for a big part of energy bills in hotels. We are having cooling equipment maintained every 3 months and changing air filters regularly and we are properly using a programmable thermostat. In addition, we regularly check the state of the seals in refrigeration equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- We reduce, reuse, recycle
We have an integrated waste management program focused on reducing, reusing, and recycling that helps to conserve energy and reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from resource extraction, manufacturing, and disposal. We participate in the recycling program in Tortuguero and we recycle paper, cardboard, beverage containers, plastics and aluminum in general.
- We use water efficiently
We have a water conservation program that is communicated to the guests and personnel. We have placed sensitizing signs in rooms and operational areas to create awareness about consumption of water and placed faucets which release water only when the device is kept pressured. It takes lots of energy to pump, treat, and heat water, so saving water reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- To partially compensate our C02 emissions, we keep two hectares of forest in our property
Tropical forests are carbon sinks, its dynamics favors the continued growth of plants for which the capture of CO2 is essential.